Must sg Constitution must empowered 2015/2016
Section III: Presidential Elections
The election of Guild President shall have to follow all regulations and procedures above (section II)
- No members of the Guild who has not been a full member of the Guild for at least one full academic year shall be eligible to stand for elections to the presidency of the Guild.
- Any member of executive shall be eligible to stand for elections to the President of the Guild.
- No candidate will be allowed to withdraw from the candidacy to the presidency within 12 hours to the open air campaigns as provided in the regulations.
- The Guild President shall be elected to office for a maximum of one term only the term being equivalent to not more than 12 calendar months.
- No member of the Guild who has less than one full academic year to cease being a full member of the Guild shall be eligible to stand for elections for the presidency of the Guild or for Guild Speaker.
- Shall take place fifteen days before the Presidential elections
- Every constituency shall have to elect its members to the GRC members as per article 7 section III (d).
- By virtue of their position constituency secretaries shall be GRC members but shall not be eligible for other executive posts.
A) The Executive
- The executive members will be appointed from GRC members to their specific ministries by the president elect who shall make known his choice better sworn in.
- The president shall table these appointees to the GRC for ratification
- The president shall have powers to nominate not more than two (2) members outside the GRC.
- B) The Clerk to GRC
Shall be appointed from constituency secretaries by the president and his/her name shall be presented to GRC for ratification on ratification of ministers.
Section VI: Election for other Guild Officers.
Shall be elected democratically in the first GRC meeting after general elections and swearing of the new Guild Executive by and from the GRC, and thereafter sworn in by the outgoing speaker and shall assume his/her duties immediately.
- Deputy Speaker
Shall be elected democratically in the first GRC meeting after general elections and swearing in of the new Guild Executive, by and from the GRC, thereafter sworn in by the outgoing speaker and shall assume his/her duties immediately.
- The Committees
- Members of the various committees shall be appointed by respective chairpersons and presented in the first GRC meeting, GRC members can be appointed to be committee members.
- Each committee shall consists of five (5) members including the chairperson save for: Guild disciplinary committee, committee of professional affairs, committee for constituency management and students/staff consultative committee whose composition are given in Article 8 section VII and article 13
- Shall be elected in the first GRC meeting where a panel of there shall be elected for each office.
- The President shall approach each member of the panes for acceptance of office according to the number of votes they obtained in a descending order
Bye- elections shall;
- Take place whenever an office falls vacant.
- Take place within fourteen (14) days of the seat falling vacant.
All election petitions shall be addressed to the Dean of Students who shall constitute a petition tribunal whose ruling shall be final.
Section X: Election petition tribunal
The tribunal shall comprise five members:
The dean of students who will chair the tribunal; legal advisor, the university Lawyer; Financial Advisor, the University bursar; Chairperson of the Deans committee; and the warden.